Pages

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Read-a-thon

Today we got to wear our jammies to school! I wore my purple and green froggie jammies because they are nice and soft. I brought my slippers in my backpack to wear in the classroom. I wore my bathrobe as a jacket. Fun!

Today was called Snuggle Down and Read to start the first day of our Read-A-Thon. That's where kids read books and then get money! But the money doesn't go in their piggy banks. It goes back to my school so that our library can get more books. And you know I love books! And you wanna know a secret? I love smelling books.

So this readathon goes something like this. Starting today until December 4th, I keep track of the amount of time I read every day. I also keep track of what books I read. Or chapters of books if the books are long. If a grownup reads to me, this counts too.

I write all this down on a reading log. This is not a tree that fell down. This kind of log is fancy talk for a piece of paper with information on it.

If you want to help me and my school, you can sponsor me. You can pledge to donate a certain amount of money, like 10 cents for every minute I read. And then let's say I read 15 minutes a day, every day. That's 0.10 ($) x 15 (minutes) x 30 (days) = $45 that you will give to my school. Or you can say you will donate a certain amount of money for every book I read. Or you can pledge money based on how many pages I read. I hear that you can even just donate a flat amount. So many choices!

So if any of you want to sponsor me or want to know more about this read-a-thon stuff, please let Mommy or Daddy know. You can email them, leave a comment here, or send them a Facebook message. Or the good ol' telephone works too.

Thank you very much!

1 comment:

Christina said...

i'm stealing "snuggle down and read" for my highschoolers. maybe on the last day of school before winter break we'll bring in blankies and cocoa and read a christmas story or something.

watch me create curriculum on your blog, yo! you are my muse!